Thursday, July 29, 2010

Flip Flops

It may sound tacky, but I wore flip flops on my wedding day.  And I’m not just talking about after the ceremony.  All day, I wore my flips.  They help me to let go. I can be free.   I’m comfortable; I can step outside of my perfectionism.

And I am such a perfectionist; it sometimes gets me into a lot of trouble.  Mostly with myself though.  There are so many stupid things I just simply can’t let myself get away with.  There must not be any dishes in the sink when I go to bed.  All the kids’ toys must be put back exactly where they belong, four times a day.  My eye shadow must match my lip gloss that must match my shirt that must match my socks that must match my shoes that must match my purse and belt and coat.  So when I’m walking out the door, and step on a baby wipe that one of the twins so kindly left out for me and my sock gets all wet, I must go change my whole outfit because that was the only pair of socks that matched everything so perfectly; which is why I prefer flip-flops.  They just go with everything.  It’s simply one thing to make my life a little less crazy and a bit more enjoyable. 

That’s why I wore flip-flops on my wedding day.  Everything was absolutely wonderful and perfect and amazing about my wedding day.  I did things exactly the way I wanted them done.  I know that there is so much pressure from everyone.  “Mom and Dad are paying for this, so I have to do it their way”, “His parents are paying for the reception hall, so they get to chose how it’s decorated”, “Aunt Mae is paying for my dress, so she gets to chose which dress I choose.”  Well, I would say in a polite fashion, “Mom, Dad, Aunt Mae, I appreciate you helping out with my wedding, but you had your wedding, let me have mine”; which is what I did.  This is your day, you can be grateful for any help that you get, but you should be able to pick your colors and flowers, location and shoes.  It’s one of the most important days of your life.  You don’t want anything to ruin that. However, something that I tell all the brides that I meet with, “The most important thing is that at the end of it all, you will be married, and it will have all been worth it.”  But, you may as well enjoy the journey.  So, if you want to wear flip-flops on your wedding day, then do it.  Have fun, relax, happy wedding planning & Bonne Chance!

~Abbie Fellenstein~

Candlelight Creations – Cards & Invitations

No comments:

Post a Comment